Monday 19 March 2012

In Profile: Pottermus

Pottermus is one of the biggest characters in Stoke. Better known today as Stoke City's mascot, he has had a long and interesting life. Join me now as I take a look back at the life of this local legend. JOIN ME!


Born in Tunstall in 1967 as Pottermus Percival Burgess to parents Ted and Sharon, Pottermus had a tough upbringing on Tunstall's mean streets. "It was kill or be killed," Pottermus says about those early days.

Joining a gang aged 8, Pottermus was soon involved in a life of crime and drugs, to the detriment of his school work and family life. "The gangs had kids dealing drugs 'cus the Police never suspected they were involved," says Pottermus. "It was good shit back then too. None of this crap nowadays that's cut up with god-knows-what. You bought 'charlie' from me and it was proper 'charlie' you got."

It wasn't long before Pottermus was using himself. "I started off on weed, then mushrooms, LSD. Not long after I was doing coke then I moved onto the real bad stuff."

When parents Ted and Sharon found out what was going on, they used their life savings to send Pottermus to rehab. "I was in a pretty bad state," Pottermus says. "It was in rehab I first started dabbling with religion too. That really helped me get clean."

Having got clean, Pottermus needed direction in his life. Fortunately, an old friend offered him help. "Me mate Dave back from the gang days had just bought 'The Place' in Hanley and he needed someone to manage it. I didn't know if I could do it but I relished the challenge!" It was also through this job that he first met future wife Pottermiss.

Pottermiss and Pottermus

"Life was great for a while," says Pottermus. "I had a good job, I was dating Pottermiss and had plenty of money." But it wasn't long before the temptations of drugs came knocking at his door. "Working in the high class nightclub business as I was at 'The Place', drugs were everywhere. The temptation got too much and I was soon getting high again."

It was during this period that Pottermus really hit rock bottom. He was arrested for domestic abuse after beating Pottermiss, just weeks after they were married. "I'd been on a 2 day coke binge," remebers Pottermus. "She started nagging at me so I gave her a good thrashing."

Because of this Pottermus's marriage broke down and he lost his job at 'The Place' and struggled for money to feed his habit. "You don't get enough on the dole to buy the crack I was doing," he says. "I had no choice but to go on the rob."

Pottermus was soon arrested for breaking and entering - at Pottermiss's house! "That was the real low point," he says. "Being busted for robbing your ex-wife ain't good in anyone's book."

It was in prison that Pottermus first got involved in Scientology. "That lot really helped me, and I've been clean ever since. It's not a mental cult. Anyone who says it is is the mental one."

After getting clean, Pottermus was offered a chance of redemption. "Stoke City approached me about becoming their mascot," he says. "The last mascot, 'Pete Herb', had gone down for fiddling some kiddies. I didn't know whether to do it or not as I'm a Vale fan, but the money was too good to turn down."

Eventually, Pottermus grew into the role, something he still does to this day. A bigger surprise was still to come though: Pottermiss was later employed by Stoke City to join him as mascot! "It was awkward as first having to work with my ex-wife, whom I'd beaten and robbed, but the chemistry was still there and we work together well!"

And what about the future? "Who knows," laughs Pottermus. "I'm happy where I am right now. And I'm also available for parties and bar mitzvahs!"

No comments:

Post a Comment