Monday 26 August 2013

Stoke Culinary Classics With Chef Barry Cockles

No. 1: Cheese Oatcake

You will need good quality oatcakes. I recommend Povey's Oatcakes, mainly because they sponsor me.

With the oatcake rolled open, you can add the cheese. I personally use cheddar cheese for its consistency and dependable flavour. I wouldn't use a foreign cheese. That won't work.

To grate or not to grate? That is the question. I would suggest that you grate the cheese for greater consistency, though this is not a necessity. Play it how you wish.

Spread the cheese out evenly over the naked oatcake if you're using grated cheese, going close to the edge; if not, place your chunks or slices of cheese on the oatcake, leaving a 2cm gap to the edge of the oatcake to allow for the extra surface area the molten cheese will cover.

Now place the oatcake into the microwave. Cook until the cheese has melted. When this happens, take it out and leave it to cool.

Finally, all you need to do is roll the oatcake up; your cheese oatcake is now ready to eat. I recommend that you gobble it up quickly for maximum satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment